Rutherford Parks Library Circa 1912
RUTHERFORD PARKS LIBRARY PROJECTA major project is under way to develop a museum dedicated to Castle Heights.
In 2013, the alumni association acquired one of the few remaining landmarks from the Heights campus, the Rutherford Parks Library. The structure, completed in 1912, is on the National Register of Historic Places and is a classic representation of the castle architectural design that defined the campus.
The museum, to be called the Castle Heights Military Academy Archives and Museum, will be a new, permanent home to the numerous photographs, memorabilia and records from the school, which operated from 1902 until 1986. The museum design is currently in the conceptual phase.
Featured exhibits under consideration include the academy’s longtime owner and publishing tycoon, Bernarr MacFadden. MacFadden is probably best known as the “father of physical culture” and integrated his fitness concepts as a key part of the Castle Heights cadet development.
Other exhibits include the history of CHMA, the prominent faculty, cadet life, athletics, campus architecture and notable alumni, some who have had a remarkable, if somewhat unknown, impact on much of the country’s history.
An ADA restroom has been added as well as a storage/archives room in the back of the building.
The wood floors have been refinished and look beautiful. The interior has been painted.
We should have some display cases ready with photographs, and memorabilia in time for Homecoming 2016 on Saturday, October 8.