castleheights.com Forum Index castleheights.com
Castle Heights Military Academy Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Old Stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    castleheights.com Forum Index -> Castle Heights Bulletin Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nostalgia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: More Old Stuff Reply with quote

This is from a Former Cadet listing on the old Ford Moss Web Site...sorry, I just liked it...

Description: I FIRST CAME TO HEIGHTS IN MY JUNIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL IN THE FALL OF 1963.

I WAS SENT THERE BECAUSE MY DAD, A LIFER IN THE ARMY, THOUGHT I WAS SPENDING TOO MUCH TIME PLAYING MY ELECTRIC GUITAR AND NOT ENOUGH TIME WITH MY SCHOOLWORK.

HE LET ME TAKE MY GUITAR WITH ME TO HEIGHTS, THOUGH, I GUESS, FIGURING IT WOULD BE OK TO HAVE AND PLAY IT UNDER A MORE CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT.

I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER THE VERY FIRST DAY AT SCHOOL.

MY DAD HAD DRIVEN ME FROM VIRGINIA AND WE GOT THERE A COUPLE OF DAYS EARLY.

THERE I WAS ALL ALONE IN MY ROOM AND I HEARD SOMEONE PLAYING THE BEST GUITAR I HAD EVER HEARD, SO I FOLLOWED THE SOUND DOWN THE HALL AND DOWN THE STEPS (MY ROOM WAS ON THE TOP FLOOR OF "MAIN") AND WHEN I CAME TO THE ROOM AND KNOCKED ON THE DOOR, A RED HAIRED GUY ANSWERED AND SAID "HI! I'M DUANE ALLMAN". I INTRODUCED MYSELF AND TOLD HIM I PLAYED TOO, AND HE SAID "GREAT, BECAUSE MY BROTHER GREGG AND I ALWAYS TRY TO HAVE A LITTLE BAND HERE AT SCHOOL." NEEDLESS TO SAY, I JUMPED RIGHT BACK INTO MUSIC AND IN THE PROCESS, I LEARNED MORE FROM DUANE AND GREGG ALLMAN ABOUT MUSIC THAN I EVER HAD IN VIRGINIA.

IT DIDN'T LAST TOO LONG THOUGH, CAUSE DUANE GOT KICKED OUT OF SCHOOL NOT TOO FAR INTO THE SCHOOL YEAR. GREGG LASTED SOMEWHAT LONGER BUT HE, TOO, DIDN'T LAST OUT THE SCHOOL YEAR.
THERE WERE OTHERS THERE AT HEIGHTS WHO PLAYED MUSIC AND I PLAYED WITH THEM ALL-- ROBERT THAMES, RICK CLIFTON, DAVE JOHNSON, HOWARD WHITE, AND JAY WOLF TO NAME A FEW.

MEANWHILE, I GOT INTO MY STUDIES AND JOINED THE DRILL TEAM.
A LOT OF HISTORIC SHIT HAPPENED DURING MY STAY AT HEIGHTS…KENNEDY WAS ASSASSINATED, THE BEATLES CAME ON THE SCENE AND 'NAM WAS STARTING TO HAPPEN.

I CAME BACK FOR MY SENIOR YEAR IN '64 BUT TOO MANY DEMERITS CONSPIRED TO TAKE THE FUN OUT OF IT (SOMETHING ABOUT AN UNAUTHORIZED WEEKEND TRIP TO NASHVILLE INVOLVING ALCHOHOL). ANYWAY, I LONGED TO GET BACK TO CIVILIAN LIFE SO I COULD EMBARK ON MY MUSIC CAREER AND I MADE THIS FEELING KNOWN TO COL.INGRAM AND HE AGREED THAT MAYBE I SHOULD LEAVE. SO, SOMEWHAT RELUCTANTLY, AND SOMEWHAT GLADLY I TOOK MY LEAVE OF CHMA IN EARLY 1965.

I WENT BACK TO VIRGINIA AND GRADUATED FROM PUBLIC SCHOOL BUT I HAVE ALWAYS WISHED I'D STUCK IT OUT AT HEIGHTS TILL GRADUATION.

I DID HAVE A CAREER IN MUSIC AND AFTER 10 YEARS ON THE ROAD PLAYING GUITAR, I MOVED TO CALIFORNIA AND STARTED TO WORK BUILDING AND OPERATING RECORDING STUDIOS FOR LEGENDARY ROCK PIANO MAN LEON RUSSELL. THIS LASTED 5 YEARS AND LED TO OTHER JOBS IN OTHER STUDIOS AND IN 1985 I BUILT MY OWN RECORDING STUDIO CALLED "CLASS ACT" I HAVE KEPT PLAYING MUSIC AND IN '75 I ADDED PEDAL STEEL GUITAR TO MY ACT, AND IT HAS SERVED ME WELL. IN '77, I PLAYED FOR A WHILE WITH COUNTRY ARTIST CHARLIE PRIDE.

IN AUGUST THIS YEAR('98), I RELOCATED MY STUDIO FROM NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA. 10 MILES NORTH TO THE HORSE COUNTRY OF SYLMAR, CA. THE STUDIO IS MUCH NICER, MUCH LARGER, AND FEATURES 32 TRACKS OF DIGITAL RECORDING. I RESIDE HERE ON THE SAME PROPERTY WITH MY WIFE OF 11 YEARS. WE HAVE NO CHILDREN BUT 2 CATS.
I WORK AND ASSOCIATE REGULARLY WITH SOME OF MY CHILDHOOD MUSICAL HEROES AS WELL AS SOME OF THE MOST FAMOUS NAMES IN HOLLYWOOD.

I HAVE ACHIEVED MOST OF WHAT I HAVE SET OUT TO DO IN LIFE; I'M STILL PLAYING MUSIC; I MANAGED TO STAY OUT OF 'NAM - I HAVE MANAGED TO STAY OUT OF JAIL - I'VE REACHED A POINT WHERE I WORK FOR MYSELF, MAKE GOOD MONEY AND ANSWER TO NO MAN.
AND MOST OF ALL, I'M ALIVE AND I HAVE MY HEALTH.

I RECENTLY ATTENDED THE 50TH B'DAY PARTY OF MY FRIEND AND CHMA ROOMMATE (57 MAIN), RICK WHITE IN MEMPHIS ON 6/12/98. HE, BY THE WAY, IS LIVING IN MOUNTAIN HOME ARKANSAS WITH HIS WIFE, BARBARA.
THE ONLY OTHER HEIGHTS GUYS I'VE RUN ACROSS OVER THE YEARS ARE JAY WOLF WHO I LAST SAW IN SAN DEIGO IN 1980, WHO HAD A WIFE AND A NEW BABY AT THE TIME AND WAS STILL PLAYING BASS PROFESSIONALLY.

AND I RAN ACROSS ROBERT THAMES A COUPLE OF TIMES IN THE EARLY '70S IN NIGHTCLUBS ON THE ROAD IN WASH.D.C.AND VA. BEACH - ALSO PLAYING GUITAR PROFESSIONALY. I LAST SPOKE TO HIM BY PHONE IN ABOUT 1988 AND HE WAS LIVING IN NASHVILLE.

SO AT AGE 51, I HAVE ONLY A FEW REGRETS AND ONE IS, THAT I DIDN'T HANG AROUND A LITTLE LONGER AT CASTLE HEIGHTS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    castleheights.com Forum Index -> Castle Heights Bulletin Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: